The Millennials’ Revolution: From Biohacking to the Maker Movement a New Class Rises

From Blockchain to...
RamboLambo

The Millennials’ Revolution: From Biohacking to the Maker Movement a New Class Rises

Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:00 am

While Nakamoto was completing the finishing touches of his historic paper, Jason Bobe and Mackenzie Cowell launched an organization called DIYbio, standing for do it yourself biology.

The idea appears preposterous, do science yourself? It is precisely what the biohacking movement stands for, this idea that medicine doesn’t have to be the privilege of Ivory Towers, but accessible to all. Josiah Zayner, one of the more well known biohackers, says:

“One of my big problems with academic and medical science is you read lots of these papers. Lots of stuff, we cured X or we did X, but it won’t be available to the general public for 10, 20, 30, 40 years. To me, that seems ridiculous. How do you expect this technology go forward if they aren’t testing, playing around it?

What is too early and what is too late? I don’t know if there’s an answer. I don’t know if I’m the correct one to ask that question. But maybe activists putting this knowledge out there, letting people know how easy and accessible it is, can spur people to push this stuff. Develop it more. Develop it faster. Develop it quicker. Maybe just completely because they’re afraid biohackers will beat them too it. Maybe because they’re afraid biohackers will do something stupid.”

The stakes couldn’t be higher, with one of them meeting the ultimate: death. 28 year old Aaron Traywick, who was one of the more well known biohacker, was found dead on April 29th in a float pod in what Wikipedia calls “under unexplained circumstances.”

https://www.trustnodes.com/2018/06/28/m ... lass-rises

Return to “LEARN”