Meet The Man Who Tracks Kidnappers and Paramilitaries Using Blockchain

Great Beer, Bad Jokes and Stories of Glory
howlermunkey
Site Admin

Meet The Man Who Tracks Kidnappers and Paramilitaries Using Blockchain

Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:54 pm

We first mentioned Ben Strickland in our coverage of his report on SadaqaCoins, a dark web marketplace aimed at crowdfunding for weapons and paramilitary training of Syrian jihadists. Strickland didn’t just stumble across the site — he’s an OSINT (open source intelligence) investigator who uses OSINT techniques to trace cryptocurrency transactions and draw connections between paramilitaries, extortionists, and organized criminals online.

In June, Strickland published a Medium post called “Tracing a Jihadi cell, kidnappers and a scammer using the blockchain — an open source investigation.”

Strickland spoke to CCN about the open-source data techniques he used in his investigation, describing open source data as anything from YouTube videos, blockchain data, satellite imagery, or social media posts.

“I started by looking at a jihadist group that were requesting donations from the public through the typical channels groups like that generally operate on (Telegram, Twitter). Doing the same as I do with human rights abuses, I looked at all of the data available. It became apparent to me than an address linked to their account was linked to a kidnapping in South Africa.”

https://www.ccn.com/meet-the-man-who-tr ... lockchain/

Return to “thedrunkenblogen”